Divorce Decree Modification

Florida Divorce Attorneys

Attorneys Who Can Help With Decree Modifications in Stuart, Florida

The divorce decree is sometimes referred to as the final order or final decree, but many aspects of your divorce are actually subject to change under certain circumstances, and some issues can continue to be litigated long after the final decree is filed.

Although Florida Courts allow for the modification of a divorce decree, convincing evidence must be presented. The experienced divorce attorneys at Colter Law Group can help increase your chances of receiving the modifications you request.

Most divorce decree modifications relate to minor children, and depending upon the situation, parties can petition the court to modify child support, child custody, and child visitation.

Child Support

Child support modifications are usually based upon a significant change in a party's income or earning capacity. In Florida, some of the factors that may serve as the basis for a child support modification include:

  • Job loss
  • Increase or decrease in income
  • Change in child's expenses

There must be a substantial change in circumstances for a custody order to be modified in Florida, specifically a difference of at least 15 percent or $50, whichever amount is greater, between the existing monthly obligation and the amount provided for under the guidelines.

Child Custody

A child custody order will not be modified in Florida unless a parent or third party can demonstrate a substantial, material, or unanticipated change in circumstances, and the modification must serve the child's best interests. The evidence presented to the court is critical, and it is essential to retain a skilled attorney experienced in Florida divorce and custody laws to ensure that the best interests of your child are considered.

Child Visitation

It is possible to modify a timesharing plan or visitation order in Florida, but there must be a significant and material change in circumstances and the proposed change to visitation/timesharing must be in the child's best interest in order for the court to grant the change. The burden of proof is on the parent who wants the change.

The Colter Law Group has helped many people in Stuart, Florida and the surrounding counties of Martin, Indian River, St. Lucie, and Okeechobee successfully modify divorce decrees. Contact us online or call (772) 888-0883 for skilled legal representation and advice.